Derby Airport development
The Shire was successful in obtaining a $5.1million grant for the development of the Derby Airport. The development includes:
- Terminal upgrades to be able to handle commercial jets in addition to the existing light aircraft, helicopters, and tourism charters;
- Apron upgrades to take the weight larger planes;
- New fire hydrant system ;
- Power upgrades and new backup generator;
- New runway lighting;
- Water and waste water upgrades.
These upgrades are required to support a future jet service out of Derby airport where there is a lower cost structure for operators, better linkages to smaller charters, and closer to town for accessibility. This also supports power, water, lighting quality for RFDS base operations.
This is a great outcome for the future sustainability of the Derby airport. While there is still no word on a date to recommence commercial jet flights this announcement is an important step and the Shire continues to work hard towards this goal.